Are You Going “Back to School”?
This time each year, the students in your youth ministry return to school. But do you? Return to school with them? Jesus calls his followers, “fishers of men.” As youth workers, the “fish” we gather congregate in schools every day. Literally, not metaphorically. Not being much of an actual fisherman myself, I've learned from Deadliest Catch that you really can't catch fish without going where the fish are. Even if those places make us uncomfortable or feel dangerous. This may seem obvious when talking about catching shark, salmon, or flounder. But if it's so obvious, why do so few urban youth workers spend any real time at their students' local schools? As you consider your ministry's back-to-school strategy this year, these resources from 20/20 Vision for Schools may be helpful.
- “20/20 Vision for Schools: Transforming Public Education within a Single Generation of Students” workshop video, PowerPoint slides, and more
- “Why Public Schools Matter to God (and Should Matter to You Too)”
- “Ten Ways Your Church Can Be Good News to Public Schools,” by Adam McLane
- 20/20 Vision Case Studies, a growing collection of multimedia reports from the field showing what 20/20 looks like in different contexts in New York.
- “Leading Education Reform Where You Are: One Church’s Story,” originally published by Willow Creek Association in the conference Notebook for the 2011 Global Leadership Summit.
- Complete Index of 20/20 Resources
- Learn more about 20/20's mission in New York, what we do to support that mission, and our vision for a world where all children can access a quality education.
Paul Curtis PS 102 Multimedia
You read about Pastor Paul Curtis last week, now hear him tell the story of the PS 102 Mural in his own words, and watch the story unfold in the multimedia slideshow.
See also the PS 102 Mural blog to experience the progression from beginning to end.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the YS Blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of YS.