Assessing the Health of Your Ministry
On the Idea Lab stage at NYWC in Sacramento, I had the pleasure of interviewing our very own Brian Aaby who serves as the director of YS Search and YS Coaching. Brian took a few minutes to share some key ways to assess the health of your ministry and some insight for those more difficult times that will help keep your goals in perspective. Check out the audio from the interview below:
If you don't have time to listen to the full interview, here is a quick look at the key ideas that Brian expands on:
– Don’t do ministry on your own and don’t trust yourself to be your own litmus test for the health of your ministry.
– God designed us to be in relationship, but when we have hierarchy, that can get in the way.
– Get involved with networks.
– If you're a volunteer, make sure you're talking with others that are in similar positions to help give you another perspective.
– Just because a parent says, “you’re not spending enough time with MY kid” doesn’t mean you’re not spending enough time with THE kids.
– Sometimes we aren’t the personality that should reach every student, that’s why we bring in volunteers.
– Have a philosophy of ministry that everyone agrees on.
Brian Aaby is the director of YS Search & Coaching, assisting churches with personnel placement and provides coaching guidance for youth leaders. Brian served 17 years as a youth pastor and then founded and led Youthmark since 2008. Brian speaks nationally at churches, camps, conference, and events. He and his wife, Elisabeth, have three children and reside near Seattle.
Brian will be teaching “Leaving Well: Leading through or preparing for new leadership” at NYWC Atlanta. There's still time to join us! Visit nywc.com for more info…
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the YS Blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of YS.