Hump Day Humor with Ben — Rejected Youth Group Names
For many of our tribe, Wednesdays are long days. We get to the office around 8 or 9 in the morning (or 10 or 11 depending on how late we were out with students last night!) and spend much of our day gearing up for that night’s youth group. Some weeks it seems like no matter how far in advance we plot out our teaching schedule, there are always last minute preparations that eat away our day. How often do you go into youth group nights feeling rushed, like the carpet was just pulled out from under your feet? I hope I’m not the only one who’s ever felt like that!
Wednesdays often feel like a mountain in the middle of our week. Sometimes we just need a good laugh to help us clear the “hump day.” So, without further adieu, here is the first installment of Hump Day Humor with Ben!
If you’ve been to NYWC in the last couple of years, there is a good chance that you have a book full of Rejected Sunday School Lessons that was given out to us youth workers as a freebie. How many of you in desperation have pulled that book out while planning Sunday School? Don’t feel bad, I’ve used a couple — much to the enjoyment of my middle school boys!
In the same vein of satirical youth ministry humor, I present to you “Rejected Youth Group Names.” One of my students (the senior pastor’s daughter, actually!) sent me this list of youth group names she compiled after we discussed ideas for names at our last youth group meeting. My wife and I got a good belly laugh out of reading these, and I hope you have a similar reaction! Be sure to let us know if you actually decide to use one of these names for your youth group!
After I came home, I really started thinking about some youth group names that might be good for our group…I've been brainstorming and decided I'd run by a several favorites I found. I hope you will consider one of my names for our youth group.
- C.A.TS. – Christians Actively Terrorizing Satan
- CATBIRD- Christians Actively Trying to Become Incredibly Righteous Disciples
- Barf and Gag- Boys After Radical Faith and Girls after God (A personal favorite of mine)
- DUNG-Deliberately Uncreatively Named Group
- MisfitYouth- Welcome to the island
- Losers- We've lost our lives to Christ!
- POOP- People Oozing Outreach with Passion (Please strongly consider this name, it is my favorite)
- PB&J- People Believing & Jesus
- Puke- Upchucking the old way of life (*Hork*)
- Q-tip- Digging deeper into God's Word
- Swiss Cheese- “Be holy as I am holy”
- TACO- The Awesome Christ Organization
- WTF- Worship the Father (Huh? What did you think it stood for…Geez!)
Please review these names and come up with the one you think best suits our group. Maybe we could make sweatshirts!! That would be awesome.
Thanks for letting the youth be involved!
Oh, one more thing before I wrap up this Hump Day Humor post. Want to hear something that's really scary? Some of these are actual youth group names listed at YouthPastor.com's Youth Group Name Roster. No joke!
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the YS Blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of YS.