Inspiring Students to Navigate a New World: An Interview with Tim Elmore
Maina Mwaura sat down for an interview with author and President of Growing Leaders, Tim Elmore. His latest book, Marching Off the Map: Inspire Students to Navigate a Brand New World is the result of decades of research and collated experiences from both Tim and his co-author Andrew McPeak. Watch the full interview below:
Here’s a short description of Tim’s book, Marching Off the Map:
Leading today’s students often feels like being in a new country. The population in this new land has different attitudes (many entitled and narcissistic) and speaks a different language (emojis and social media). Attention spans are six to eight seconds. They multitask on five screens. They often possess multiple personas on social media platforms. Understanding and connecting with this generation is often times frustrating and draining.
The old maps that helped adults navigate students through adolescence are now producing graduates who move back home, are afraid to take healthy risks, and are unwilling to start at the bottom of a career path.
We’re in new territory.
We need new strategies on how to navigate new land… to march off our old maps and create new ones.
That is what this book is all about. From decades of research and hands-on experience, Dr. Tim Elmore and Andrew McPeak collate their conclusions into one resource.
In Marching Off the Map, they share practical, research-based solutions that help adults:
- Inspire students to own their education and their future
- Lead students from an attitude of apathy to one of passion through metacognition
- Enable students to push back from the constant digital distractions and practice mindfulness
- Raise kids who make healthy progress, both emotionally and intellectually, through their teenage years
- Give students the tools to handle the complexities of an ever-changing world
- Understand and practically apply the latest research on Generation Z
- Leverage what is cultural to instill in teens the wisdom and advice you know they need to succeed in any stage of life
Check out more information HERE.
MAINA MWAURA loves to guide student leaders. He is the husband of Tiffiney and has a two-year-old daughter name Zyan. Maina, lives in the Atlanta area and is the mobilization pastor at West Ridge Church. Check out more info at MAINASPEAKS.COM
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the YS Blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of YS.