The Best Kept Secret at NYWC: Deep Dives
Arguably the best hamburger in Southern California can be found at a local chain called In & Out Burgers. The menu is super simple and has very few options. Although known to some regulars is the secret menu—which isn’t promoted, but highly valued because of the different ways they prepare the burgers. My regular order is a Double-Double Animal Style… it’s straight off the secret menu.
This year in Tampa, at the National Youth Worker’s Convention, we have a secret menu… well, kinda. The menu item is called a Deep Dive. While Deep Dives are actually promoted (and not really secret), only a fraction take advantage of them. Deep Dives start the day before the convention kicks off and it’s a great way to start off your NYWC experience.
This last weekend I was having dinner with several youth workers from Kansas City and they asked me to share some insider secrets or how to get the most from NYWC. I enthusiastically said, “Did you sign up for a Deep Dive?” They hadn’t. This is what I shared with them.
1. Four-hours of specific, personalized training with great access to the teacher. Small equals more access. Four hours equals concentrated learning.
2. It’s a great way to jump-start the convention. Many times youth workers will say, “I got my money’s worth before the convention officially started.”
3. Chose more options—if you want to. This year we’re offering several 2-hour options so you can choose two topics instead of the usual one. Fourteen options altogether. See the list below.
4. Your Deep Dive price includes the price of the $25 Kick-off Comedy night. Last year, our inaugural Comedy Night was a blast and a sell-out. In addition to the amazing Skit Guys, we also have professional comedians: Andrew Stanley, Kristen Weber, John Michael Hinton. https://nywc.youthspecialties.com/comedy-night/
5. World-class leaders. Come on! Google these folks if you don’t recognize names: Mark Yarhouse—one of the leading voices in the LGBTQ conversation; Lane Jones—author of one of the best speaking books I’ve ever read; Reggie Joiner—Mr. Orange; Dr. Kara Powell—author of Sticky Faith; Katie Edwards—one of the best leaders I’ve ever been around. Seriously… so many great options… including my amazing wife Cathy Fields—who is team-teaching with me on Being Married in Ministry.
Add a Deep Dive to your NYWC registration today for only $69 plus the bonus: your Deep Dive registration also includes a ticket to our NYWC Comedy Kick-Off.
Check out some of these great topics you’ll be able to dive into:
- A New Kind Of Volunteer | Reggie Joiner
- Marriage and Ministry | Doug and Cathy Fields
- Your First Two Years In Youth Ministry | Josh Griffin and Karl Romeus
- Improving Your Ministry to LGBTQ+ Youth | Mark Yarhouse
- The Church and Parachurch (Can’t we be BFF’s?) | Crystal Kirgiss
- Self Awareness 301 | Terry Linhart
- Being Present With God, Yourself, and Others | NYWC Soul Care Team
And new this year will be special 2 hour block sessions (you choose two during the afternoon)
- Equipping and Empowering Your Youth Ministry Volunteers To Win | Katie Edwards
- First Contact: How to Find, Get, and Keep a Job | David Fraze and the NYWC Coaching Team
- Communicating for Change | Lane Jones
- 15 Tech Resources to Make YOU Look Like a Pro | Brandon Early
- How to Disrupt Racism One Friendship at a Time | John Hambrick and Teesha Hadra
- Growing With: Providing Real Answers to Parents’ Biggest Questions | Kara Powell
- Smaller Church Youth Ministry | Stephanie Caro
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the YS Blog are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of YS.